What this Notice covers
Kent School of English is committed to protecting the privacy and security of your personal information.
This Privacy Notice describes how we collect and use personal information about you during the recruitment process, in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and data protection legislation.
Identity of the data controller
Kent School of English is a “data controller”. This means that we are responsible for deciding how we hold and use personal information about you. We are required under data protection legislation to notify you of the information contained in this privacy notice.
What information do we collect?
KSE collects a range of information about you. This includes:
- Your name, address and contact details, including email address and telephone number
- Details of your qualifications, skills, experience and employment history
- Information about your current level of remuneration, including benefit entitlements
- Information about your entitlement to work in the UK
- Information about your suitability to work with under 18s (including details of any criminal convictions)
Sources of personal data
KSE may collect this information in a variety of ways. For example, information might be contained in application forms, CVs or resumes, obtained from your passport or other identity documents, or collected through interviews or other forms of assessment.
We may also collect personal information about you from third parties, such as references supplied by former employers. We will seek information from third parties only once a job offer to you has been made and will inform you that we are doing so.
Information will be stored in a range of different places, including on your application record, in HR management systems and on other IT systems (including email).
Our lawful bases for processing your data
We will use your personal information in the following circumstances:
- Where we need to perform a contract we have entered into with you
- Where we need to comply with a legal obligation
- Where it is necessary for our legitimate interests or those of a third party and your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests
Our purposes for processing your personal information
KSE has a legitimate interest in collecting personal information during the recruitment process and for keeping records of the process. Collecting information from job applicants allows us to manage the recruitment process, assess and confirm a candidate’s suitability for employment and decide who to offer a job to. We may also need to use information received from job applicants to respond to and defend against legal claims.
We need to process information to ensure that we are complying with our legal obligations. For example, it is mandatory to check a successful applicant’s eligibility to work in the UK and suitability to work with children.
Who has access to your information?
Your information may be shared internally for the purposes of the recruitment exercise. This includes members of the HR and recruitment team, interviewers involved in the recruitment process, managers in the business area with a vacancy and IT staff if access to the information is necessary for the performance of their roles.
If you begin work with us, your name and image may appear on various internal documents some of which are on display in school buildings and/or shared electronically among members of staff.
In addition, your telephone number may be circulated among staff in your department to ensure that you are contactable on trips and activities outside the school or on other occasions when normal internal communications are not possible or practical. Your specific consent will be sought for this.
We will not share your information with third parties except in the following circumstances:
- If your application is shortlisted and we invite you to an interview, we will then share your information with former employers to obtain references for you
- If your application for employment is successful and we make you an offer of employment, we will also share your information with a third-party umbrella body company who will carry out a Disclosure and Barring Service check on our behalf. This is to assess your suitability to work with under 18s
- If you begin work with us we will share your personal information, including bank details, with a third-party payroll company so that they can pay your wages
How does KSE protect personal information?
We take the security of your information seriously and we have put in place appropriate measures to prevent your personal information from being accidentally lost, used or accessed in an unauthorised way, altered or disclosed. In addition, we limit access to your personal information to those employees, agents, contractors and other third parties who have a business need to know.
We have put in place procedures to deal with any suspected data security breach and will notify you and any applicable regulator of a suspected breach where we are legally required to do so.
How long does KSE keep personal information?
We will only retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfil the purposes we collected it for, including for the purposes of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements.
To determine the appropriate retention period for personal data, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the personal data, the potential risk of harm from unauthorised use or disclosure of your personal data, the purposes for which we process your personal data and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
You have the right to:
- Request access to, and a copy of, your personal information
- Request correction of the personal information that we hold about you
- Request erasure of your personal information.
- Object to processing of your personal information where we are relying on a legitimate interest (or those of a third party) and there is something about your particular situation which makes you want to object to processing on this ground. You also have the right to object where we are processing your personal information for direct marketing purposes.
If you believe we have not complied with your rights, you can complain to the Information Commissioner.
What if you do not provide personal information?
You are under no statutory or contractual obligation to provide information to KSE during the recruitment process. However, if you do not provide the information, we may not be able to process your application. Furthermore, because the school depends on the processing of your information to function safely and effectively and to fulfil its own obligations, we may not be able to employ you.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
Kent School of English reserves the right to update this privacy notice at any time, and we will provide you with a new privacy notice when we make any substantial updates. We may also notify you in other ways from time to time about the processing of your personal information.